Infertility can be either in male, female, or in both. Dealing with the fact that either of the partner is struggling with infertility, is a difficult task to do. Infertility counselling helps those couples to feel comfortable, accept the fact, and move on with new hope. It help intended parents to understand infertility reasons, further methods to tackle this situation, and finally to become parents.
Infertility counselling is done by professional counsellors who are experienced with people in infertility situation and know how to address the emotional difficulties a patient going through.
Types of Infertility Counselling
Depending on the stage of infertility process, where a patient currently is, there are following types of counselling.
- Initial Counselling: In this counselling, an infertility counsellor, usually an infertility doctor, observes the couples’ state of mind and their attitude towards their infertility problem. Sometimes, partner blames each other for this condition and their opinion for treatment options are different. It is the responsibility of fertility counsellor to make them understand that this can be happen with any one, regardless the gender. Once couple got a clear picture about infertility problem, a counsellor further helps them to choose a best option for treatment and its details.
- Counseling for Confidence Building:If a couple has understood the infertility problem but not sure about the suggested option for infertility treatment, they require confidence building sessions. In this, a counsellor tries to find out the reasons that makes couples unsure about treatment. Usually reason behind this lack of confidence is unknown fear, social aspects, and lack of family support. Counsellor makes couple to understand that this decision is totally of the intendent parents and tries to build their confidence on the doctor who is going to treat them.
- Psychological Counseling: This counselling is used in some intense situation, where a couple show case an extreme sign of depression. Depression may occur due to marital issues between partners, bad experience of earlier treatments, or any other psychological issues.
When a couple starts infertility counselling, the process may be a combination of different stages.
How an Expert Helps Couple in Infertility Counselling?
Infertility counsellor is not only one who supports an infertile couple in phycological issues but also on medical issues. When a couple decide to use an infertility treatment to become parents, they may not have any experience regarding treatment and may not be fully prepared. Thus, infertility counseling is necessary to make sure that the couple get awareness about requirements of each step of treatment and be prepared for further journey.
An expert can help couples to eliminate their fears and build a trust on treatment procedures. The following are key responsibilities of counselor.
- Understanding view point of couples, and making both partners to understand each other’s expectations and ambitions throughout the treatment journey.
- Providing assistance to couples to tackle emotional situations that may occurs in any stage of treatment.
- Making partners believe in medical treatment, doctors handling the case, and on each other.
- Counsellor should make couples so much comfortable that they can trust on counsellor and express each difficulty.
How to Choose Your Infertility Care Centre and Expert? http://drshivanisachdevgour.co.in/blog/how-to-choose-your-infertility-care-centre-and-expert/